If you’re one of the many people, like me, who used Google Talk as their Instant Messenger before we were forced onto Hangouts by an automatic update, you may have noticed a few annoyances about how Hangouts works (or doesn’t).
Let’s look at which features have been removed that I’ve noticed. This is going by the official Chrome client, which is identical to the one in GMail and G+ from what I’ve seen.
- Away status. This is the biggest gripe that I’ve seen. You can no longer mark yourself as “away” nor can you set a text status explaining why.
- You can’t go “invisible”
- GTalk’s “off the record” feature. Hangouts now stores everything whether you want it to or not.
It seems that the concept of being “away” has been replaced by “snoozing” which puts notifications on hold while still receiving messages.
This is all starting to sound more like SMS than Instant Messaging. You’re never “away” or offline. You don’t send a message expecting them to “be there”, you just send it and wait for their eventual reply. Google has even, at least partially, dropped the XMPP protocol and is planning on adding SMS support in the future.
Google did a little more than update it’s client. They appear to be redefining Instant Messaging. It’s not clear if they intend to merge IM and SMS in the future but we’ll have to wait and see.
There’s a post here about getting it to work, but it’s old. Since then, the include statements for HTML Purifier were moved to their own file. In a normal script you would include the HTMLPurifier.includes.php file, but this isn’t in line with how CodeIgniter loads libraries, so it requires some hacking to get working.
- Download HTML Purifier and put the contents of the library folder into your codeigniter /system/application/libraries folder.
- Open HTMLPurifier.includes.php and change
require 'HTMLPurifier.php'; to
- Open HTMLPurifier.php and add this just under <?php
And that’s all! Load with
HTML Purifier Docs